Friday, August 28, 2026

It's Friday, I'm a Guest Judge! Woodgrain Collectability by Kelly Weimer

For this month's guest judging post, we're looking at collectability once again! I asked my friend Kelly Weimer (yes, one of the Kellies Corner Kellys!) if she'd be willing to write a post for me, and I'm thrilled that she took the time to talk about some of her favorite things - vintages and decorators! 

Woodgrain Collectability
by Kelly Weimer

Hi! I’m Kelly Weimer and I’ve been collecting Breyers since 1978 when I received a palomino Family Arabian Stallion. Currently, my collection of roughly 3,500 models has a focus on Breyer rarities and unrealistic colors. I first became interested in Collectibility when my mom’s uncashed check for the 1984 Just About Horses Sorrel Saddlebred Weanling was returned because the run was sold out. What do you mean I can’t have one?! There were only 1,000 produced? Why does it cost more on the secondary market? Since this experience, I’ve been interested in the ebb and flow of desirability and factors which influence Collectibility.

I’ve been showing since the late 1990’s and have been an active judge since the early 2000’s. I’ve judged several North American Nationals, BreyerWest, BreyerFest Children and Youth, BVG, Island Time, and countless other shows in Regions 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9!

I am a co-author of the Breyer Animal Collector’s Guide 5th Edition (2007), Breyer’s Just About Horses Vintage Point, and I co-host Kellies’ Corner archive room segments during BreyerFest.

Lastly, I’m a co-host of Are You Kitten Me Live, a repeat NAMHSA Member Show of the Year (2022-23, 2023-24, and 2025-26) which has cumulatively raised $47,550 since 2022 for Wayward Whiskers, a cat rescue in Greensburg, PA!

For this class, we are judging three vintage Woodgrains on collectibility. Woodgrains are a very fragile finish that Breyer produced beginning in the late 1950s. There are a few more recent examples, but all three of these models were produced before 1970.

How do I judge Breyer collectibility? I use the same criteria used at NAN: age, rarity, desirability, condition, and the judge’s overall impression.

Horse A: #951 Woodgrain Five Gaiter, “Commander,” 1961/62-1965
First up is a Woodgrain Five Gaiter, one of the easier Woodgrains to find, perhaps second only to the Family Arabians and the Fighting Stallion. However, this particular example is in impeccable condition, has very nice graining, and retains a Tenite sticker.
Horse B: #948 Woodgrain Morgan, 1963-1965.
Next is a Woodgrain Morgan. While the Morgan is not the most desirable mold among collectors, it is one of the hardest Woodgrains to find. This example is also in very good condition.
Horse C: #P945 Woodgrain Fury Prancer 1959/60.
Last is a Woodgrain Fury Prancer, another difficult-to-find Woodgrain. This particular example has some bubbling in the finish and a few touch-ups that may not be obvious in the photos, but are present in person. Despite those issues, he’s a very scarce model. It should also be noted that the Woodgrain Prancer did not come with a saddle or reins, so those accessories are not actually missing.

Find Kelly's placings under the jump. ↓

The Placings:

How did I place this class?

Age is fairly similar across all three entries, so rarity and condition became the largest factors in my placings.

🥇1st: Horse B - Woodgrain Morgan

I’ve pinned the Morgan first, which may not surprise anyone who knows it’s my favorite mold, however, that’s not why I selected him. He is the rarest of the three and is also in excellent condition, making him the strongest overall entry.

🥈2nd: Horse A - Five Gaiter

For second place, I’ve gone with the Five Gaiter, primarily because of its outstanding condition and the highly desirable Tenite sticker. The Tenite sticker predates the blue ribbon sticker and adds rarity to the entry, which definitely factored into my evaluation.

🥉3rd: Horse C - Fury Prancer

In third place, I’ve pinned the Fury Prancer. If the Tenite sticker on the Five Gaiter were less prominent or noticeable, I would have placed the Prancer second. In person, however, the condition differences are much more apparent, and ultimately that became the deciding factor between the two. Showing tip: if your model has a sticker or something which sets it apart from other entries, be sure to include that information in your collectibility documentation. 

It’s funny, I actually had another draft of this post where I switched my second and third place horses. That just goes to show how difficult this class was to judge and how evenly matched the Five Gaiter and Fury entries are, as well as what a judge’s preferences might be on a particular day! 

How did you pin them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Friday, I'm a Guest Judge! Woodgrain Collectability by Kelly Weimer

For this month's guest judging post, we're looking at collectability once again! I asked my friend Kelly Weimer (yes, one of the Kel...