๐ The BreyerFest Files๐
I crossed off a Lexington bucket list item this BreyerFest. I finally made it to a tour of Old Friends.
Old Friends is a retirement home for Thoroughbred racehorses, and is home to several famous names.
 |
| I'll Have Another |
I've been meaning to make it to a farm tour - ANY farm tour! - since I started going to in-person BreyerFest in 2022.
 |
| Lava Man |
Usually, I'm either too busy, or have other plans made, or just no one else to go with (since many of the tours are group things).
 |
| Game On Dude |
This year, my friend Amanda posted in our Airbnb group chat that she wanted to take an Old Friends tour, and if anyone would be interested. I told her I had time on Sunday morning, but she'd be responsible for handpicking my Breyer Store models in addition to picking up my Special Runs.
 |
| Green Mask |
Eventually, a group of four of us decided on a Sunday morning tour. We'd be able to complete the tour and have time for the two of us with volunteer shifts to get back to the Horse Park! It was also nice as we were able to avoid the traffic issues getting into the Park that morning.
 |
| Big Brown |
It was such a lovely morning feeding the horses treats and learning their stories. I can now say I've fed three Kentucky Derby winners!
 |
| Friends who think alike! |
The draw for Amanda and I was of course Silver Charm. We joke that we share a brain cell, and we both (independently) decided to bring our Silver Charm models.
 |
| Silver Charm |
It was such a privilege to meet (and pet!) the famous boy! He's 32 years old this year, and Amanda and I both felt very "now or never" about meeting him. It meant that the precious little free time I had to spend at the Park this weekend was gone, but I think it was well worth it.
I'd definitely love to visit Old Friends again - I missed out on Cozmic One this time, and I'd love to see a Zenyatta baby! I think I'm going to end up being one of those people who spends the whole week in Lexington every year. There's just so much I still want to do, even after years of attending BreyerFest in person (Keeneland breakfast, anyone?)
No comments:
Post a Comment